SS2 segfaults when running ldd

I'm copying this message over to sparclinux - I doubt it's
debian-specific.

On Thu, 23 Jul 1998, Kevin Milans wrote:
> > 3) 'ldd' doesn't work - and possibly other components of ld-linux.so.
> > Random segfaults are probably related to this. This makes packaged
> > compilation tricky, since dpkg-shlibs won't work.
>
> Hmm... try using the new 2.1.109 kernel from CVS, compile it with
> gcc version 2.7.2.x (later versions and egcs will give you the
> infamous SCSI error messages at boot time for anyone with old hardware).
> This fixed my ldd problems and I can now execute /lib/ld-linux.so.2
> normally, without a segfault.

Brief background: On my Sparc 2, running Debian, kernel versions 2.0.33 or
2.0.35, 'ldd' will segfault.  In general, however, the system seems to
work well.

I'm using libc 2.0.93.

As you can see above, for Kevin, 2.1.109 fixed the problem.
Unfortunately, CVS has moved on since then, and the snapshot I compiled a
couple of days ago (2.1.111) will boot but segfaults all over the place
(in rcS, for example).

Anyone got any idea if this *is* a kernel problem, or which version I
should go for?

Jules