Re: sparc port? glibc? help?

>> > Sparc Debian doesn't work on my SS20.  The kernel in the tftpboot
>> > image doesn't boot, and it doesn't work with the 2.1.93 kernel that I
>> > have been using for months.  I suspect the problem is related to the
>> > beta glibc-2.1.x that is used on Debian Sparc.  I spent many hours
>> > building a newer release of glibc (2.0.94), which segfaults with
>> > everything (I suspect everyting needs to be recompiled with the new
>> > library - the dynamic loader does work).
>
>> It may be that the pagesize fix we have hasn't made it upstream yet, libc
>> thinking that the pagesize is 8k when it is really 4k has that effect.
>
>I applied all of the patches that were in the current Debian package
>(one change was rejected and had to be made by hand).  Is this patch
>included in the current Debian package?

If it was still needed for it should be there - though I haven't looked
at it so I don't now for sure. IIRC it was Johnnie Ingram who compiled
the last libc6.

>Is this stuff (the 8k pagesize fix) discussed anywhere?  I haven't
>subscribed to the glibc mailing list because it says "no lurkers".  (I
>currently am on debian-sparc, redhat-sparc, sparc-linux and ultra-linux.)

It was discussed here when we found it, at the time Debian was the only
libc6-based distribution for sparc as far as I know. I don't know if it
was taken up on the libc6 mailing list, since I'm not subscribed to it
either. Look in the archives from around new year.

>> > (The quickest way to fix Debian would be to switch to the non-beta
>> > glibc from UltraPenguin 1.0.9 and Red Hat 5.1 and recompile
>> > _everything_.)
>
>> We discussed this when the back-port of sparc support to glibc2.0 first
>> appeared and decided not to go that way. I think it was the right thing to
>> do, as there really aren't any major problems with glibc anymore.
>
>Ok.  Has anyone gotten the current Debian Sparc system to work with
>recent kernels?

2.0.33 has been working well for me, and I've had some success with 2.1.93
(from vger CVS). Later 2.1 kernels have been problematic (lots of
segfaulting, probably related to the changes in VM handling). I intend
to keep trying the 2.1.x kernels from vger (though lately they've been
severely broken due to the framebuffer changes). I hope to get around
to trying 2.0.35 as well.

Regards,
/Anders

Anders Hammarquist   |       Mud at Kingdoms        | iko@netg.se
NetGuide Scandinavia |   telnet kingdoms.se 1812    | Fax: +46 31 50 79 39
http://www.netg.se   |                              | Tel: +46 31 50 79 40