Re: sparc status? A cry for information, and an offer to help

You didn't Cc: your reply back to the list.  In general, you should, since
my answers will be valuable to others.  I am taking the liberty of Cc:ing
this all back to the list now.

On Tue, 21 Jul 1998, Michael Mattice wrote:

> Jules Bean writes:
>  > I see the following problems with my SS2:
>  >
>  > 1) The boot disks don't work.  Not an issue for me, but important to some
>  > people.
>
> 	Really??  They worked wonderfully for my SS5 after not getting
> ARP/RARP to work with my i386 linux box.

They work fine on some machines, but the fail on others.  Sufficiently
reproducibly that I suspect a genuine problem, not just bad floppy drives.

>  > 3) 'ldd' doesn't work - and possibly other components of ld-linux.so.
>  > Random segfaults are probably related to this. This makes packaged
>  > compilation tricky, since dpkg-shlibs won't work.
>
> 	I've had some problems with compiling things for sparc repackaging
> as well.  I haven't even been able to get to that point though.  To many
> include deps.
>
>  > 4) There are problems with the virtual console/X code.  X sometimes
>  > 'steals' a vc for no apparent reason.  Sometimes keymaps get messed up
>  > too.
>
> 	Where did you find X for the Sparc?  I can't find the server anywhere.
> If there is more setup involved to getting it limping than on i386, we probably
> need a HOWTO.

Getting it to work is *far* easier than on the i386.  As to finding it -
check the mailing list archives, at www.debian.org (this list).  There are
some messages about a fortnight ago about it.  I forget the precise URL,
it is on netg.se somewhere.

>  > So, I think there are some things we could do with here.
>  >
>  > I would like to see a debian-sparc web page, and a debian-sparc FAQ.  I
>  > will happily put these together.
>
> 	Extremely agreed.   www.debian.org mentions the sparc port, but the
> packages pages totally neglect everything but the i386 version.  If you'd
> like some help, I'm lacking some overall direction as to where to begin.  I'd
> like to get ncpfs running but overall, the lack of packages is overwhelming.

I'm glad I have a second.  I now would like some response from the people
who got the port as far as it is, so I know the current status of
things...

Jules