Re: sparc-linux

On Tue, Jul 07, 1998 at 02:52:16PM +0200, Dinh-Tuan.Pham@imag.fr wrote:
> 	I would like to try the sparc/linux debian system on an old
> Sun IPC. I have downloaded the file resc1440.bin in the directoty

cool...man I shoulda bought that IPC at the flea market rather than
the Sparcstation 1....oh well..its all good....

> debian/dists/hamm/main/disks-sparc/current

so far so good

> on the site ftp.de.debian.org and write it to a DOS disquette through
> the rawrite command (I can't use the dd of Sun because of the
> volume manager). However, the diskette won't boot. Here is what I get
>
> ok> boot floppy
> boot device: /fd
> can't read disk label
> can't open Sun disk label packages
> can't open boot device
>
> What is wrong ?

I asked a while ago here baout making boot floppies....
I had no luck either making them (YET) but...I don't have a hard
drive to install on yet either so....

I heard that I need to format them on the SUN first and TEHN rawrite
the disk onto the floppy. I am still unsure of ho wto do this...
I will have a hard drive for it RSN (ordered one yesterday..2nd day air..)
and will try this method.

> I have succeeded in booting the machine under redhat-4.2 this way. But
> unfortunately redhat hasn't provide an installation boot diskette for
> 5.1

did you just rawrite the disks or were they didsk someone else made
(ie from the redhat package?)

You could of course install a tiny RedHat system and then "convert" it to
debian ;)

-Steve