Re: i386 user entering sparc land

On Mon, Jun 22, 1998 at 11:25:38AM -0700, Kysh Dragon wrote:
> > assorted Items. I bought one of them for $40..it was a
> > SUN Sparc 1+, 2 105 MB hard drives, a floppy, no video card.
>
> Congratz. I envy you the opportunity.

I envey me it too....I have wanted one for so long. yesterday was
my birthday and...I saw them atthe flea market...sorta became a birthday
present.

hitting those milestones...20 years old...got my first sparc...yes this
year is starting out much better than last year :)

> > can I use my i386 linux box to make up the base dist disks?
> > Are there any common problems I should be aware of?
>
> Lowlevel format the floppies on the sparc, stick 'em in the i386 and dd
> 'em. Then stick 'em back in the sparc and boot up. Voila.

ahh..and how do I go about doing that? hmm...I supose I could bother
ali again downstairs, he runs sloaris on a sparc 1...he would do it for me..
but..
assuming I get it up and runnign with RedHat...how do I low-level format
a floppy? (I almost never use floppies these days...with TR-4 tape
drives and 3.2 gig hard drives...come a long way from my Apple II GS
with an 800 k floppy and no hard drive)

> > Any info will help..I have only seen SUNs before (I do have an account
> > on a Sun sparc 1 but..I only ever telnet to it..and its solaris)
> > I have no manuals and no idea where to get info.
>
> Hey, congratualtions on getting a sparc -- I'd sell my soul for one. :>

well...dunno if I can let mine go for that but.. if you really want it that
 is a good place to start bargaining from :)

> > also...is that 3/80 good for anything? what CAN i do with it...if not use linux
> > -Steve
>
> If you don't want it.. ;>

lol didn't you say that last night on IRC? :) If I can't do anything
with it I would get rid of it...not quite ready to give up on it
just yet....but if I can't find a use for it...ill remember you asked ;)

-Steve
PS I might be able to find some more such deals in the future
if yer interested