Re: still no joy with new disks

Eric wrote:
> Duncan THOMSON wrote:
>> i'm running on a floppy-less ELC with two external SCSI drives.
>>
>> i appear to have succeeded the install procedure with both the RARP/TFTP and
>> RARP/TFTP/NFS methods, install the kernel/drivers/base system ok, and run
>> silo.  however, when i reboot, silo give me:
>>
>> SILO
>> Cannot find /etc/silo.conf (Unknown ext2 error)
>>
>> Couldn't load /etc/silo.conf
>> (and further messages about booting from the command line, which i've tried
>> to follow to no avail.)
>>
> Did you checked if your /etc/silo.conf exists on the target disk ?
> Boot off network with the install procedure, then mount an already initialized
> partition.  It is now mounted on /target (or mount it by hand from a shell).
> If no silo.conf exists, create it with something like that:
>
> partition=1
> root=/dev/sda1
> timeout=100
> image=/linux
> label=linux
> read-only

i checked that all was as above (the file existed, and the only difference was
image=/vmlinuz (and /target/vmlinuz existed, so that shouldn't be a problem).

> Then run
>   /target/sbin/silo -r /target

i did this too, no errors reported at this stage.

> BTW, is your first partition starting at cylinder 0?  I guess silo suppose so,
> and it needs to be an ext2 partition (no swap here otherwise it will erase the
> partition sector).

using fdisk, it seems that the first cylinder is indeed 0, and it's not for
swap (it'll be the root partition).  if it helps, the partition tables are
reproduced below.  both disks are FUJITSU M2624FA (cyl 1427 alt 2 hd 11 sec 64).

   Device Flag   Begin    Start     End   Blocks  Id  System
/dev/sda1            0        0     279    92288  83  Linux native
/dev/sda2  u       279      279    1427   404096  83  Linux native
/dev/sda3            0        0    1427   502304   5  Whole disk

   Device Flag   Begin    Start     End   Blocks  Id  System
/dev/sdb1            0        0     279   450560  83  Linux native
/dev/sdb2  u      1280     1280    1427    51744  82  Linux native
/dev/sdb3            0        0    1427   502304   5  Whole disk

and /target/etc/fstab is

/dev/sda1	/	ext2	defaults,errors=remopunt-ro	0	1
/dev/sdb2	none	swap	sw				0	0
proc		/proc	proc	defaults			0	0
/dev/sda2	/usr	ext2	defaults			0	2
/dev/sdb1	/home	ext2	defaults			0	2

and finally, /target/etc/silo.conf is

parition=1
root=/dev/sda1
timeout=100
image=/vmlinuz
label=Linux
read-only

anyone have any suggestions?  i don't *think* it's a hardware error,
since redhat4 was installed on the same machine previously...

	-duncan