Re: still no joy with new disks

Duncan THOMSON wrote:
> Eric wrote:
> > Duncan THOMSON wrote:
> >> i'm running on a floppy-less ELC with two external SCSI drives.
> >>
> >> i appear to have succeeded the install procedure with both the RARP/TFTP and
> >> RARP/TFTP/NFS methods, install the kernel/drivers/base system ok, and run
> >> silo.  however, when i reboot, silo give me:
> >>
> >> SILO
> >> Cannot find /etc/silo.conf (Unknown ext2 error)
> >>
> >> Couldn't load /etc/silo.conf
> >> (and further messages about booting from the command line, which i've tried
> >> to follow to no avail.)
> >>
> > Did you checked if your /etc/silo.conf exists on the target disk ?
> > Boot off network with the install procedure, then mount an already initialized
> > partition.  It is now mounted on /target (or mount it by hand from a shell).
> > If no silo.conf exists, create it with something like that:
> >
> > partition=1
> > root=/dev/sda1
> > timeout=100
> > image=/linux
> > label=linux
> > read-only
>
> i checked that all was as above (the file existed, and the only difference was
> image=/vmlinuz (and /target/vmlinuz existed, so that shouldn't be a problem).
>
> > Then run
> >   /target/sbin/silo -r /target
>
> i did this too, no errors reported at this stage.
>
> > BTW, is your first partition starting at cylinder 0?  I guess silo suppose so,
> > and it needs to be an ext2 partition (no swap here otherwise it will erase the
> > partition sector).
>
> using fdisk, it seems that the first cylinder is indeed 0, and it's not for
> swap (it'll be the root partition).  if it helps, the partition tables are
> reproduced below.  both disks are FUJITSU M2624FA (cyl 1427 alt 2 hd 11 sec 64).
>
>    Device Flag   Begin    Start     End   Blocks  Id  System
> /dev/sda1            0        0     279    92288  83  Linux native
> /dev/sda2  u       279      279    1427   404096  83  Linux native
> /dev/sda3            0        0    1427   502304   5  Whole disk
>
>    Device Flag   Begin    Start     End   Blocks  Id  System
> /dev/sdb1            0        0     279   450560  83  Linux native
> /dev/sdb2  u      1280     1280    1427    51744  82  Linux native
> /dev/sdb3            0        0    1427   502304   5  Whole disk
>
> and /target/etc/fstab is
>
> /dev/sda1	/	ext2	defaults,errors=remopunt-ro	0	1
> /dev/sdb2	none	swap	sw				0	0
> proc		/proc	proc	defaults			0	0
> /dev/sda2	/usr	ext2	defaults			0	2
> /dev/sdb1	/home	ext2	defaults			0	2
>
> and finally, /target/etc/silo.conf is
>
> parition=1
> root=/dev/sda1
> timeout=100
> image=/vmlinuz
> label=Linux
> read-only
>
> anyone have any suggestions?  i don't *think* it's a hardware error,
> since redhat4 was installed on the same machine previously...

What are the scsi ids of your disks ?
Is /dev/sda the first disk in the chain ?  If not maybe you have to boot
with "boot disk<n>" where <n> is scsi id.
I recall that Sun swapped id 0 and 3, so if, for example, /dev/sdb could be id
3 and /dev/sda id 1.  And you could have your old rh-silo installed on
/dev/sdb called by default ;(

Hope this help.