Re: How to help?

On Wed, Mar 04, 1998 at 01:16:40PM -0600, John Goerzen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We are installing Debian on a Sparc machine here.  I have noticed that
> there are a number of packages for i386 Debian that are either missing or
> outdated for Sparc Debian.  I am a maintainer of various packages under
> i386, so I am familiar with how the Debian packaging system works.
>
> I am able to easily grab the source packages for various things and
> generate the deb for sparc.  My question is this: Is it possible for me to
> upload these debs to master for inclusion in the sparc archive, even
> though I am not a maintainer of those packages and don't want to be?

	Yes, of course.  But before uploading one package, make sure
that it works with the latest libraries... we are having some problems
with glibc lately :)

> And if so, what is the procedure for doing so?

	dpkg-buildpackage -B -rsudo -m"John Goerzen <jgoerzen@complete.org>"

	... and upload the resulting .changes.  If you have to modify
the sources in any way, submit a bug report against the maintainer of
the package telling what did you have to change.

	Note:  `fakeroot' doesn't work yet (at least, on my system),
so you will probably have to use `sudo'.

> Does dupload/release generate the appropriate release messages?

	dupload works for me.  I have never used `release'.

> Do I need to note something in a change
> log or create a new "debian" version of the package?

	You should try to upload it without any changes.  If you need
any changes in the *sources*, submit a bug report.  You shouldn't
change the copyright or changelog unless the current version is
already uploaded and you have to change it for some reason.  In this
case, just make a non-maintainer release in the usual way.

--
Juan Cespedes