[Ulrich Drepper <drepper@cygnus.com>] binary incompatible glibc 2.1 development version

Hi,

I thought this would be of interest for you.

Led me clarify it: glibc 2.1 will be and is binary compatible with
glibc 2.0. There's just an incompatibility between the last snapshot
and the current one.

Only binaries using new interfaces that have not been in glibc 2.0
might break.

Andreas
--
 Andreas Jaeger   aj@arthur.rhein-neckar.de    jaeger@informatik.uni-kl.de
  for pgp-key finger ajaeger@alma.student.uni-kl.de

Those who do not use the glibc 2.1 development version can safely
delete this mail.  All others: READ THIS!!!

The next glibc 2.1 development will be binary incompatible.  To
prevent major complains I'll write this to a public list though the
are no announcements for this version.  If you have compliled programs
with gilbc 2.1 installed make sure you can use an old library, e.g.,
by

	copying the current libc in a separate directory
and
	creating the libc.so.6 symlink

so that you can in a case of emergency use LD_LIBRARY_PATH to restore
the previous status.  To create correct binaries simply relink them
with the new libc.so.

I expect only a few binaries will break but be careful!

-- Uli

--- End Message ---