OT: HOW-TO report a bug?

Anthony Fok wrote:
>   你没有用 mutt... 我相信你平时寄信一直用 Netscape,而
> 你的 Netscape 是配置为直接跟你 ISP 的 SMTP 服务器沟通,跟本
> 不经过你自己安装的 smail/sendmail/exim 处理,所以你平常寄信
> 才没有遇上问题。

I have extensive experience with Mutt and Gnus/XEmacs and quite
some other MUA/MTA. The question here is that I now WANT THINGS
SIMPLE. ;) Netscape only bothers me with its performance and
stability and its lack of configurabily when compared to Gnus,
but hey don't you have experience that after a move or a travel
or something that force you away from your daily working
computer and your well configured MUA/MTA with all that key
stroke combinations and secret configuration to suit your very
personal taste at then, you just got to FORGET all that neat
configuration and all that key-stroke combinations? That is my
case. :(

Before that I am all up to Gnus and think Gnus beats all other
MUA to the dust. But that is frankly an ignorant attitude to
those modern UI researches.

And to the security conserned people, this surely won't be a big
bet to setup a port listening there for just sending an email.
Don't you think so? (Even it's from inetd. And, argh, if it's
not from inetd, then memory is another consideration.)

>   这个是完全不关 EMAIL env 和 --email 的事啦。只是收信者的
> mail server 见到你寄出的信件的_两个_ "From" 栏目不符,
> 一个(exim 自己加的)说 zw@thunder,另一个(bug/report/mutt 加的)
> 说 zw@zhaoway.com。也可能是自动侦测到 @thunder 不是正规的
> domain name,所以当作错误、或 spam,自动反弹不收。这方面,
> 一般的 mail client 也无法解决。

Don't you think Netscape/Outlook/Foxmail/TheBat!/Eudora are
common MUA? ;) They do solve this problem. (if it exists at all.)
And I believe Gnus could be easily configured to solve this
problem too. (That is why once I think Gnus could beat all other
MUA, not because it's difficulty to use but for its through
extensive configurability.) I don't remember the case for Mutt
very clear now, but I suspect that Mutt cannot use arbitrary
SMTP server. Anyways.

But, what is the purpose for the bug/reportbug programs anyway?
To make things as filing a bug report EASIER, right? ;)
And I'm telling this:

$ man bug
       The $EMAIL environment variable can be  used  to  set  the
       From: line in the bugreport.  The Bug tracking system will
       use this address to send notifications  about  changes  in
       the state of the bug being reported.
$ man report
       --email=ADDRESS
              Set the email address for your report.  This should
              be  the  actual  Internet  email address on its own
              (i.e. without a real name or comment part).
  DEBEMAIL, EMAIL
              Email  address to use as your from address; default
              is taken from your user name and /etc/mailname.
$ dpkg -s bug
Recommends: mail-transport-agent
^^^^^^^^^^
$ dpkg -s reportbug
Suggests: mail-transport-agent
^^^^^^^^
(I.e. not Depends:)

>   这些都是所有自己没有 domain name 的 GNU/Linux、*BSD 拨号用户
> 都要处理的问题吧,不是 Debian 系统存心挖苦你的! ^_^

I am NOT saying its ``on purpose(?)'', that would be ridiculous
and stupid. Just IMHO this would probablly not be labeled as a
glorification under the Name of GNU(/Linux, *BSD). :P

Regards,