Re: what to do about 'xmlcatalog' incompatability

On Tue, Feb 03, 2004 at 03:02:54PM -0500, Adam Di Carlo wrote:

> I'm a little concerned about the incompatability between
> update-xmlcatalog and xmlcatalog.  I think we need to do a little
> better to fix this, or else we'll probably start receiving unfixable
> bug reports.

Agreed. I also discovered a bug in 'xmlcatalog', where it requires a
*system element where the proper implementation of the xml catalog spec.
would indicate the use of a *uri element. In fact, I had to add 'incorrect'
entries to the xml-catalog for docbook-xsl just so some gtk stuff (which
uses 'xmlcatalog') would build properly. So I guess I'm not a big fan of
the 'xmlcatalog' script.

As you pointed out earlier, Debian users _really_ need to understand
how update-xmlcatalog works. And that it should be the _only_ tool used
to update an xml-catalog. I haven't a clue how to ensure something like
that, esp given the ubiquity of the 'xmlcatalog' script. Tough one.

> I guess there's two possible approaches:
>
>  - wrapper around xmlcatalog or something ?

Yeah, like if a call was made to xmlcatalog to add an entry to some
catalog, update-xmlcatalog would register that change by adding it to
its database. Sounds cool, & like too much work.

>  - make update-xmlcatalog smarter, e.g., so, say, if someone edited
>    /etc/xml/catalog by hand, that stuff wouldn't get stomped.

Yeah, let's have Ardo do this, too. He's got plenty of time:)

> I'm sure Ardo has thoughts about this...

Ahh, ..., let's just assume he'll take care of it, and end the
discussion here:)

Cheers,
Mark
--