Re: question about placements in /usr/share/xml

Mark Johnson <mark@dulug.duke.edu> writes:

> Quoting Adam Di Carlo <aph@debian.org>:
>> Does this seem ok?  correct?
>
> Yep, seems OK to me. Somewhere in the policy it states that any
> package that has its own catalog _must_ install in its own
> directory. Otherwise you get name-clashing with the local catalogs,
> as you point out.

Ok, I'll have to make some changes, actually, to accomodate this.
I didn't notice this.

> I think you could go either way, putting them right in
> /usr/share/xml or in /usr/share/xml/schema. But you'd still have to
> give them their own subdirectories because of the catalog-clashing
> problem.

Strange.  The implication is that stuff in /usr/share/xml/schema or
/usr/share/entities are not registered, then -- they don't have their
a catalog.  No?

>> FYI, of course I'm going to create symlinks from the old locations
>> under /usr/share/sgml for backwards-compatability.
>
> Good. For some reason, dh_link isn't creating the links for me. They show up in
> the package build area, but not when installing the package. What's created is
> an empty directory. Not so useful:)

Works for me, though.

> There is an exception: for some packages, if I create the directory (via
> <package>.dirs) where the link is to reside everything seems to work. I've still
> got a couple docbook-* packages that don't provide the symlink that I need to
> fix by editing the postinst manually. Have you had any problems of this sort?
> Any ideas why it might be happening to me??

No clue.  I don't use package.dirs tho.

> BTW, I got a bug report against docbook-xsl because of a missing symlink. The
> maintainer's package wouldn't build properly without it. My point: we definitely
> need the symlinks.

Yah.

Well, my new sgml-data 2.0 is ready to go once xml-core uploads.  I'm
working out commiting this to local CVS then I'll put up a testing version.

--
...Adam Di Carlo...<adam@onshored.com>.......<URL:http://www.onshored.com/>