Re: XML catalogs and xml-base

On 9 Dec 2002, Adam DiCarlo wrote:

> Ardo van Rangelrooij <ardo@debian.org> writes:
>
> > Yes, I do think 'xml-base' should be a separate package.  Mark Johnson has
> > been working on a preliminary one a couple of months back
>
> I would assume it's dead?
>
> > and I don't want to go through the hassle of changing depedencies
> > when it comes along.
>
> True...
>
> > Now, of course one could question whether
> > Mark's version really is needed when my version (see below) does
> > what we need, but we cross that bridge when we get there.  The most
> > important thing to clear the current messy support.
> >
> > Also, to me it just makes more sense for XML stuff to depend on xml-base,
> > and SGML stuff on sgml-base.
>
> Well, as I'm sure you know quite clearly, sgml-base contains support
> for SGML open catalogs, but those can reference both XML and SGML
> DTDs.
>
> Anyhow, I'm fine with xml-base as a separate package.  After all, it
> does depend on a non-arch-indep pkg, and it would be a shame to make
> sgml-base non-arch-indep I guess...

Hi,

	I've been searching in vain for Debian's XML catalogs. Since
matters came to a head for me, I sat down and wrote some catalogs. A tar
file is attached. Please note (1) I have no idea whether this will work
for you in your proposed xml-base / xml-common package. If it works, well
and good. It works for me at any rate. (2) On the assumption that XML
catalogs need not have to deal with SGML document DTD, when I cloned only
the referenced XML related files from /etc/sgml/catalog. If this is an
incorrect assumption, please let me know.

	If you find this useful and need to make modifications, please
feel free to add your names to the copyright statement.

Regards,
Jor-el