Docbook two-side output for pdf

For several weeks, I've been looking for a way to obtain two-sided output
using DSSSL Dockbook with the Debian Potato standard packages.

I've  tried both Docbook 3.1 and 4.1 and tried various
formattingcombinations of db2xxx, sgmltools, jade, openjade, and so forth.
Next I tried customizing Walsh's stylesheets, using other stylesheets such
as freebsd.dsl, and finally writing my own driver--to no avail for two-sided
output, but have customized margins, headers, and so forth successfully.

I understand that this problem might be unique to particukar the Potato
toolchain, since two-sided output  for pdf seems to work for the toolchain
under Mandrake 8.1.  I.e., cf.,
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/docbook-apps/200110/msg00303.html

I want to stay with Debian, if possible, and wonder if anyone can suggest
what to try next. Admittedly, I am a beginner both with Docbook and Linux.

Thanks.
-----
Lee Archie
larchie@philosophy.lander.edu