Re: SGML in woody problems

Problem solved!  You provided the key.  I did a "fgrep SGMLDECL $(locate
.cat)" and discovered that the problem was with some XML packages I had
installed.  The net effect was to include xml.dcl in my catalog for SGML, and
that file includes the lines:

NAMECASE
	GENERAL NO

which apparently overrode the declaration elsewhere.  I removed the XML
packages and my problems were resolved.  Thanks for pointing me in
the right direction.

How does one use both SGML and XML on the same system?  In order for XML to
work, it appears I must manually specify the catalog and declaration, because
if I make them part of the standard catalogs in /etc/sgml then it will cause
conflicts.  Is that correct?

On May 12, Ian Zimmerman (itz@speakeasy.org) wrote:

 > itz> The symptom (case sensitivity) smells of wrong SGML declaration
 > itz> being used.
 >
 > Neil> How do I figure out what SGML declaration is used?  What should
 > Neil> I look for?  Is there any document that explains how all this
 > Neil> stuff is supposed to work together?
 >
 > "man nsgmls" says among many other things:
 >

 >        A catalog entry file contains a sequence of entries in one
 >        of the following forms:
 >
 > [snip]
 >
 >        SGMLDECL sysid
 >               This  specifies  that if the document does not con­
 >               tain an SGML declaration, the SGML  declaration  in
 >               sysid should be implied.
 >
 > [snip]
 >
 >     declaration
 >        If  the  declaration is omitted and there is no applicable
 >        SGMLDECL entry in a  catalog,  the  following  declaration
 >        will be implied:
 >
 > [snip]
 >
 >                 NAMECASE  GENERAL     YES
 >                           ENTITY      NO
 >

 > The meaning of NAMECASE is explained in the SGML standard or many
 > books that explain the standard (my reference is _The concise SGML
 > companion_ by Neil Bradley).
 >
 > So, at least according to the manpage, by default nsgmls (which is
 > nothing more than a command line driver for sp) should be case
 > insensitive (the YES above - quite confusing, isn't it).  So how about
 > your catalog files?  Maybe
 >
 > fgrep SGMLDECL /etc/sgml/*.cat
 >
 > will yield a clue.
 >
 > --
 > Ian Zimmerman, Oakland, California, U.S.A.
 > GPG: 433BA087  9C0F 194F 203A 63F7 B1B8  6E5A 8CA3 27DB 433B A087
 > EngSoc adopts market economy: cheap is wasteful, efficient is expensive.
 >

 > --

Neil L. Roeth