Re: SGML in woody problems

On May 10, Ian Zimmerman (itz@speakeasy.org) wrote:

 > Neil> Psgml works great to edit the documents, and it seems to find and understand
 > Neil> the associated DTDs.  The problems start when I attempt to use sgmls, osgmls,
 > Neil> jade or openjade.  I get lots of errors, and they start with errors about the
 > Neil> doctype.  It is obviously a case sensitivity issue.  I tried using jade on
 > Neil> demo.sgm with demo.dsl, and got errors.  When I changed "doctype" to "DOCTYPE"
 > Neil> the first error went away, when I changed "system" to "SYSTEM" the second
 > Neil> error went away, etc.  How do I make these tools case insensitive?
 >
 > I don't have this problem, and I've used sp and jade (the James Clark
 > versions exclusively, no o*) to process both SGML (debiandoc) and XML
 > (docbk) documents.  The symptom (case sensitivity) smells of wrong
 > SGML declaration being used.  And I have a hunch that a conflict
 > between sp and opensp might be involved.

How do I figure out what SGML declaration is used?  What should I look for?
Is there any document that explains how all this stuff is supposed to work
together?

BTW, I should mention that I had the tools working in potato, it seems the
woody upgrade had a bad side effect.

 > I am really surprised that the sp and opensp packages don't declare a
 > conflict.  Are they really supposed to both work on the same system?

Not sure.  I believe I had sp initially, switched to opensp, then installed sp
again when I saw they did not conflict, and had the same problem in all three
scenarios.

--
Neil L. Roeth