Re: xml catalogs

[ please CC replies to me ]

Mark Johnson <mrj@debian.org> writes:

> On , April 9, David N. Welton wrote:

> > libxml2 makes use of /etc/xml/catalog, which evidently doesn't exist
> > in Debian.  Any ideas of how to go about setting it up in order to
> > use it with:

> > <!DOCTYPE article PUBLIC "-//OASIS//DTD DocBook XML V4.1.2//EN"
> >   "http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/docbook/xml/4.1.2/docbookx.dtd";>

> > Any ideas?

> Hi David,

> Yes, this is a recognized problem. It's also part of the larger
> problem of implementing XML Catalogs in general. I'm not sure what
> level of support libxml2 provides for the old style SGML catalogs
> (aka OASIS TR9401:1997). (Daniel??)

> However, you should be able to get away with using the SGML catalog
> system by using the '--catalog' option to xsltproc. I.e.

>   xsltproc --catalog file:///etc/sgml/catalog stylesheet file

It's 'catalogs' and it's necessary to do:

export SGML_CATALOG_FILES=/etc/sgml/catalog

but that sort of seems to work.

> In fact, I've been meaning to get to work on this, but have been
> busy trying to resurrect the work on XML/SGML component of the LSB
> spec.

> Let me know if the above works. It should.

> (BTW, I may be incorrectly assuming that your using libxml2 via
> xsltproc.)

Yes, I am.

Question #2 - I have an .xsl file which would benefit from a similar
speedup:

 <xsl:import
  href="http://docbook.sourceforge.net/release/xsl/1.48/html/docbook.xsl"/>

  <!-- <xsl:import
  href="/usr/share/sgml/docbook/stylesheet/xsl/nwalsh/html/docbook.xsl"
  /> -->

But the versions seem to be different (nwalsh vs 1.48), and infact, it
seems to ignore the local copy.

Is there a way around this?

Thanyou for your time,
--