Re: [SUMMARY] Divergance with LSB spec

Adam Di Carlo writes:

> Its going to be closer to upstream to keep the catalog bit just like
> upstream and keep them right in the dir with DTDs and entities.
>
> In fact, we should standardize on /etc/sgml/<package>.cat
> as a centralized catalog with all amterials contained in that package.

Agreed. Makes everything easier.

> Awaiting your new draft of the file system layout.

Well, we needed to nail stuff like the above, first. I should be able
to complete a draft tonight sometime.

BTW, I still need your feedback on the following:

> > > The dtd/ and stylesheet/ dirs are for stuff that doesn't warrant it's own
> > > subtree.
> >
> > I don't know if I like this convention.  I know it follows Debian
> > current practice, but it diverges unnecessarily from the LSB spec for
> > little benefit.  Take for example the freebsd materials:
> >
> >   catalog  default.dsl  freebsd.dsl  freebsd.dtd  freebsd41.dtd  man-refs.ent
> >
> > Here we see a pretty common DocBook customization layer.  It has
> > entities, a DTD extending docbook (3.1 and 4.1), a stylesheet, and a
> > catalog.  In your scheme this would be split under the stylesheet and
> > dtd subdirs, and I think that's a big minus.
>
> These would go in the docbook subdir, because that's what they depend
> on/are customizations of. However, your point still holds, as they'd
> be separated down there, too. Opinion?

BTW, this is precisely the situation with the docbook-xml derived
stuff that I've packaged.  Most of them are customizations that ship
with both dtds and stylesheets.

Its sounding more and more like we go with the spec on these types of
packages:

If customization packages that come with both dtd and stylesheet
layers sit in a top-level directory (under docbook) the spec says:

  /usr/share/sgml/docbook/kde-customization-0.1/

But we would want to version the subdirectory, not the top-level one:
  /usr/share/sgml/docbook/kde-customization/
                                            0.1/
                                            0.2/
One obstacle here seems to be consistency:
 the dtd/ stylesheet/ structure vs. everything goes in a directory called
 "package-name"

A reasonable compromise would be to

A. use

        /usr/share/sgml/docbook/dtd
   and
        /usr/share/sgml/docbook/stylesheet

   for the main docbook dtds and stylesheets, and

B.  put all customization-based packages at the top, under
    /usr/share/sgml/docbook/, like this:

    /usr/share/sgml/docbook/simple/
                                  4.1.2.1/ (upstream files, as shipped)
                                  4.1.2.4/ (upstream files, as shipped)

    And don't worry about the xml/sgml distinction - in the long haul
    everything will become xml anyway.

Would make packaging very easy...

Agree?

Mark