Re: DocBook - db2pdf and db2ps problems

On Wed 21 Feb, Adam Di Carlo wrote:
> Henning Hansen <hh@2m.dk> writes:
>
> > On Sat 17 Feb, Adam Di Carlo wrote:
> > I don't think a complete file will be needed, all that matters is that
> > if I have a 'µ' character in the text, I will get no Postscript output.
> > The .tex file will still contain the 'µ' character as it is, and dvips
> > will report the following and create Postscript output with no text:
> >
> > This is dvips(k) 5.86 Copyright 1999 Radical Eye Software (www.radicaleye.com)
> > ' TeX output 2001.02.21:0921' -> _test.ps
> > <texc.pro><8r.enc><texps.pro><special.pro><color.pro>. <lbmr.pfb>This is DVIPS,
> > t1part module
> > lbmr.pfb: No such file or directory
> >
> > I get the same result if I replace 'µ' by '&micro;'
>
> Yes, this is the case I'm looking for.  This ought to work.
>
> I'm going to followup with this with a bug on tetex I guess if I can
> reproduce it.
>
> > However, using '&mu;' or '&mgr;' with ps2html means the \Character{956}
> > ends up as '&#956;' im my HTML files, which my browser doesn't like and
> > simply displays as '&956;'.
>
> Define "browser". Do you get the same results in Netscape 6 or
> Mozilla?

It's probably OK on most new browsers, especially if you're using a PC.
I just happen to favour the "Any browser" approach, and my personal
hardware is a Risc PC running the RISC OS operating system ;-)

The work I'm doing is supposed to be accessible from lynx.

> > It works - but it should not be neccesary ?
>
> Well, I hardly intend to write tons of machinery to work-around broken
> browsers.  But patches may or may not be accepted. I don't believe we
> can (or should) solve on the SGML toolchain level.

> The root of your problem is a misunderstanding on what the <beginpage>
> tag is for.  Read
> <URL:http://www.docbook.org/tdg/html/beginpage.html>.  It does not
> cause a page break.  DocBook is logical, not presentational,
> markup. Thus there is no element for causing a page break, nor should
> there be.
>
> So this is no foul, no bug.

I've read the <beginpage> info several times before. This time, however,
I think I understood what it says. So <beginpage> is a tag you use to
refer to an already printed version of a document, and nothing to do
with what happens if you print it out again, right?

I also agree that there should be no way to specify a page break from
DocBook. I wanted <sect1> elements to begin on a new page, but that must
be a stylesheet issue. I think I need to investigate stylesheets more
closely.

--
Henning Hansen

2M ELECTRONIC A/S, MALERVEJ 10, DK-2630 TAASTRUP, DENMARK