Re: packaging questions: docbook-xsl-stylesheets

Mark Johnson <mark@phy.duke.edu> writes:

> Easy one first:
>
> 1. Is a separate doc package (docbook-xsl-stylesheets-doc) required?

No.

>    It seems to me that they should be included in the
>    docbook-xsl-stylesheets package, as they are an integral part of
>    the distribution and not distributed separately upstream.
>
>    Since the distribution changes rapidly, one really needs the docs.
>    Disk space is very cheap these days, too.

The only reason why I separate it for docbook-stylesheets is that the
documentation is very mammoth.  For now, I wouldn't bother.

> My second question is:
>
> 2. Where do I install the perl scripts and library files found in the
>    bin directory?
>
> The stylesheet distribution from Norm has a flat directory structure
>
> bin/
> common/
> xhtml/
>

>  These are the files in bin/:
>
>  chunk.pl (a script)
>  dbart.xml
>  dbchunk.xml
>  dbref.xml
>  dingbat.pl
>  docbook.pl
>  removexmlns.pl
>
> Roughly how they work:
>
>  - chunk.pl calls the xml files as chunking config files.
>
>  - *.xml files call the other perl files.
>
> (I use the chunking stylesheets, so I never use chunk.pl)
>
> Does chunk.pl go in /usr/bin?

Yes, it should, unless there's no reason why a user would ever call
these directly, in which case, use /usr/share/xsl-stylesheets

> If so, where does the other stuff go?
>
> Then again, since they're all arch-indep, packaging would be easier if
> they could stay where they are -- in the bin directory next to the
> other stylesheet subdirs in
>
>  /usr/share/sgml/docbook/xsl-stylesheets-1.29/

I would not suggest using a versioned directory, really -- is that
required by the spec?  It shouldn't be versioned because people can
only have one at a time installed (unlike the legacy old docbook or
HTML dtds and such).

It could either go in /usr/lib/sgml if it's XSL material, or if not,
probably /usr/share/<package-name> .