Re: RFC Implementation of SGML/XML Proposal for LSB in Debian

Adam Di Carlo writes:
> Ardo van Rangelrooij <ardo@debian.org> writes:
>
> > Adam Di Carlo (adam@onshore.com) wrote:
>
> > > I find that it's generally only XML stuff where the document authors

*ONLY* XML stuff?? I sure hope Norm isn't listening...:)

> > > need to accomodate (hypothetical) tools which don't understand SGML
> > > Open Catalog formats.

> > > Thus /usr/lib/sgml/dtd/xhtml-1.0 should
> > > probably be symlinked to /usr/share/sgml/xhtml-1.0.

I don't understand what you mean. If there's no catalog support, then
the SYSTEM identifier has to point to something real, but why does
this imply the symlink for this case? To support legacy docs?

> > This is where the proposal of Mark Johnson would fit in nicely.  You can use
> >
> >   /usr/share/sgml/html/dtd
> > 		       declarations
>
> URL please?

January post to this list:
	http://lists.debian.org/debian-sgml-0101/msg00002.html

Here's the snippet:

Directory Structure Comment:
---------------------
On the proposed directory structure -- grouped by classes of dtds
rather than file function:

-Current dir structure:

/usr/[share or lib]/sgml/
        dtd/
        stylesheet/
        entities/

-Proposed:

/usr/share/sgml/docbook/
       sgml-dtd-3.1/
       sgml-dtd-4.0/
       xml-dtd-4.0/
       dsssl-stylesheets-1.54/
       xsl-stylesheets-1.12/

Wouldn't a hybrid of the two make much more sense? Something like:

/usr/share/sgml/docbook/
        dtd/
        stylesheet/
        entities/

The proposed structure looks unnecessarily messy, and harder to maintain.
Perhaps the authors of the proposal haven't encountered the xsl stylesheet
problem -- I don't see any rpms for them.

I'm going to submit this "hybrid" idea to LSB as part of their RFC, unless
someone here feels strongly that the present proposal is a better solution.

      -->> I never submitted the above <<---

> sgml-base, I see, then trimming out for just processors, I have this
> provisional list:
>
>   openjade
>   sgml-tools-2
>   sp,sgml-base
>   opensp
>   jade
>   sgml-tools
>   psgml
>   perlsgml
>   linuxdoc-tools
>

> >  - the catalog setup you described
> >  - a new tool called `install-catalog` to manage the centralized
> >    catalogs and the super catalog (I think it's better to keep
> >    `install-sgmlcatalog` as it is, besides updating it for the
> >    transition catalog)

Does anyone know if the relevant parsers all understand CATALOG
directives in catalog files?

This migration will bigtime suck if they don't.