Re: docbook derivitatives and website DTD

Adam Di Carlo writes:
> Bob Bernstein <poobah@ruptured-duck.com> writes:
>
> > >  I recall there was a .deb made of the Docbook/WebSite DTD.  Does
> > >  anyone have the URL to that handy?
> >
> > http://dulug.duke.edu/~mark/debian/Packages

That would be me.

> Excellent.  Now what is it going to take to get (at least some of
> these) uploaded to Debian proper?

I don't know how to do that yet. And the packages aren't ready:

Adam, I've packaged most of the DocBook/XML extensions you referred to
in a previous message. BUT--they were hacked together by hand-making a
tree and doing a 'dpkg -b "tree"'. (Hey, it was fast, easy, and they
work.)

They are

- docbook-mathml
- docbook-slides
- docbook-website
- docbook-simple
- docbook-jrefentry
- docbook-xsl-stylesheets
- docbook-xml-tools
  (cygnus-stylesheets for use with docbook xml source files.)

and a useful (but kludgey) XT package for XSLT processing.

I've only posted an ITP for the xsl stylesheets, but plan to
package all of the above -- and possibly a few others.

I'm finding that creating the source trees and all the stuff under
debian/ takes more time than I thought. <ugh/>

Last night I spent a few hours tweaking Adam's dsssl
docbook-stylesheets debian/rules to work for the
docbook-xsl-stylesheets. I finally succeeded, but do have a number of
questions related to packaging this and related stuff. I'll post the
questions in a new thread.

> I am willing and able to sponsor some of this, esp. the docbook-xml
> derivitives.

Great!

Lately I've been following the redhat/cygnus/kde docbook packaging,
and am in a good position to package their docbook-utils, the updated
version of docbook-tools, (aka cygnus-stylesheets in debian).

Adam: Are you keeping the docbook-xml package? In the future I'd be
willing to lighten your load by adopting it. But first things first.

BTW, I haven't yet completed the new maintainer application process, but
should be finished with it in a couple of weeks.

What I do need from one of you senior sgml dudes is some sort of
recommendation to let my AM (Martin Michlmayr <tbm@cyrius.com>) know
that I'm not a total bonehead--or that I am, if that's your opinion.
My guess is that Adam or Ardo would be logical candidates... I would
muchly appreciate it.

More in follow-up messages...

Mark

P.S. Sometime in the future I'd be willing to lighten Adam's load by
adopting docbook-xml. But first things first.