Re: Updated Docbook Website DTD packages

Michael Wiedmann wrote:

> I installed docbook-website_1.8-1.deb and get problems in generating
> output out of my XML files. The reason is the following entry in
> website.dtd:
>
> <!ENTITY % docbook PUBLIC "-//OASIS//DTD DocBook XML V4.1.2//EN"
>                    "http://docbook.org/xml/4.1.2/docbookx.dtd";>
> %docbook;
>
> which results in the follwoing error:
>
> java.net.UnknownHostException: docbook.org
>
> (because I don't have a permanent internet connection).

Looks like you've hit the xml
must-have-system-identifier/don't-support-catalogs issue...

BTW, what are you using to process the files?

One solution (till Norm's saxon catalog classes are ready, anyway) is to
use XT with Norm's Arbortext catalog classes for XT. This setup will
(effectively) tell XT to ignore the URL and to use the PUBLIC ".." part to
find the DTD and therefore to look on your system for it--rather than the
net.

For the short-term, I have an (java-policy-breaking) deb that will fix
this. (See end of this message.) But we do need to eventually provide
debian packages that take care of this problem.

This brings to mind an issue I've been meaning to mention: Docbook &
DocBook-variant system identifiers

I've sometimes added _suggested_ system identifiers to Norm's DocBook DTD
packages when i couldn't find the URL for a given DTD on his site.  But
that's not generally a good idea.

Either we could get Norm to agree on a standard set of URLs for his
DocBook variant DTDs (http://nwalsh.com/XXX/DTD.dtd, where the XX string
has predictable combination of "docbook" and/or "xml"). But this is NOT a
reasonable solution, IMHO;Norm does plenty as it is w/o having to worry
about the layout of his website.

A better solution would be for the upcoming sgml policy to include a
provision/requirement for a debian webserver to host these schema and
therefore to provide real system identifiers for users are have a
full-time net presence and whose systems aren't catalog aware. The bottom
line is that it should be EZ for users to make use of these tools.

> Is there a workaround for this except editing website.dtd to reference
> the local copy of docbookx.dtd?

Yep. As I said above, I have a dirty deb that uses XT til something better
comes along. But if you're not used to using XT it may take a while. I'll
add it to the apt-gettable archive tonight. I need to clean out some of
the rubbish first. I'll post when it's there.

Cheers,
Mark