Re: request for XML resources

/ Cory Snavely <csnavely@umich.edu> was heard to say:
| Keep in mind that a significant portion of XML technology hasn't much to
| do with text processing but with databases and application development.
| In fact it's my impression that's where the bulk of the interest lies,
| which was (and is still) not the case with SGML. SGML was always been
| largely applied to text processing.

I don't dispute that that's true, but I think it's wrong to
extrapolate that "XML is for data" or "SGML is for text".  XML is as
much a marketing victory for SGML as anything else.

Making SGML a tad simpler made writing parsers easier. Making validity
optional further reduced the "startup cost" of converting to SGML.  So
suddenly this 10 year old technology got a new lease on life and
thousands of people discovered something that had been there all the
time.

Markup is good. Proprietary is bad. Therefore XML.

                                        Be seeing you,
                                          norm

--
Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com> | We dance around in a ring and suppose,