Re: request for XML resources

My response to both posts follows...

On Thu, 9 Nov 2000, Cory Snavely wrote:

> Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:
> >
> > On Tuesday 7 November 2000, at 2 h 34, the keyboard of John Reinke
> > <jmreinke@ukans.edu> wrote:
> >
> > > 1) What XML-capable browser do Linux developers generally use to view XML
> > > files (using XSL)?
> > [...]
> > More seriously, there is not yet any XML+XSL browser which anyone reasonable
> > find ready.

Really? I find that hard to believe, although I've not found much yet
either. I can't imagine that a modified web browser that displays pages
using XML, DTD, and XSL files doesn't exist.

> OmniMark (no affiliation) has been around for a long time and was
> designed with SGML conversion in mind. Many folks in the commercial
> sector see it as premiere and recently it became no-cost software (i.e.,
> not free in the Debian sense, but you can download and use it).
>
> Also check out www.xslt.com for XSL-related tools. XSLT is the modern
> language used to do transformations of XML to other things. You need an
> XSLT processor to do this--there are several.

Thanks for the tip. Either some_XML ==> another_XML or non-XML ==> XML
translation is what I'm most interested in. Anyone have suggestions for
research topics? ;-) An application that translates but needs to do a
little more thinking and guessing is what I'd like to do. If I can find
something that people need, it would be even better.

> > > For parsing libraries, is expat normally used although it's
> > > non-validating, or does everyone build their own?
> >
> > I don't know if there is an official survey of parser use...
>
> I think it's fair to say that all of the James Clark software is
> widely-used and popular. It's one of the most interesting phenomena of
> the SGML/XML industry.

How is this interesting? Is it Bad? Good? Is there anything I should know
before using it?

> > > answers I need. I wanted to see what is used here, and how people use XML
> > > in the "real world".
> >
> > Nobody uses it in the real world :-)

With all the XML hype I've heard on the net and in the IT and business
publications, I'd at least expect that SOMEONE is using it in the real
world. Right?

Thanks,
John