Re[2]: Testing the new boot floppies

As an 'end usr' I'll attempt a reply, but jumping in like this (from the
debian-sgml list) it's hard to know what is really at issue. Are we debating
what to include in the distribution, and what is at stake vis-a-vis including
or not including, say, psgml (or emacs)?

I am an sgml newbie; my first DocBook effort can be seen at the URL in my sig.

Adam Di Carlo <adam@onshore.com> wrote:

> Wichert Akkerman <wichert@cistron.nl> writes:
>
> > Previously Adam Di Carlo wrote:
> > > Yes, it does indeed mean that, but since psgml + emacs is the only
> > > decent editor for XML/SGML that I know of, I think it's necessary.
> >
> > What makes a `decent editor' here? I can perfectly edit them in vim
> > and enjoy features like syntax highlightning as well.

Emacs running in X with psgml affords syntax highlighting for sgml. I have
looked at gvim for sgml use but found the colors garish to the point of being
unreadable, and I couldn't figure out where and how to change them! (Any help
on this, anyone? <g>)

> Some means of selecting valid tags in a given context.

Here psgml clearly *excels*. It auto-inserts mandatory elements where called
for, and it always knows what end-tag is called for.

> I've redirected this to the SGML list to see if others agree with you.
> It's certainly easy enough to remove the psgml requirement -- I just
> think that would cause more problems and confusion than it would
> solve.

If a 'task' deb is geared specifically to provide sgml _editing_ facilities
then I can't imagine not including emacs with psgml. For one thing, there is a
fair amount of documentation available for it. I have in mind:

http://www.snee.com/bob/sgmlfree/

But, if the mission of 'task-sgml' is more than just providing sgml editing,
i.e. if it provides the whole suite of tools, say, nsgml, jade, along with
DTDs and stylesheets, etc, _and_ only one editor is to be chosen, then it's a
done deal: emacs + psgml.

Sorry if these remarks labor under serious misconceptions of what's being
debated here!

--
Bob Bernstein                  http://www.ruptured-duck.com