Re: Docbook

On Thursday 2 September 1999, at 9 h 42, the keyboard of Dominique ROUSSEAU
<rousseau@neuronnexion.com> wrote:

> I have debian 2.1 (slink) installed, I know there are some packages installed
> to handle sgml, and I have also seen a docbook DTD package.
> My question is a bit stupid, but how using these tools could I make a
> postscript or html output from a document I write with Docbook syntax ?

It is a FAQ: there is no SGML-HOWTO for Debian. Actually, this is true of the
whole SGML world. SGML people hate to write documentation, that's why they
invented SGML, to make it so hard they have a good excuse. <disclaimer
sarcasm="true"/>

Either you dig through J.H.M's Makefile, or you read all the sparsed docs by
yourself, trying to figure this out. One warning: there are *several* ways to
do so, SGML is not a program but a language.

> I didn't find a db2ps or docbook2ps...

The SGMLtools program was invented for this purpose. It is packaged in potato, 'sgmltools-2'.