Re: First beta version of the Debian SGML/XML HOWTO

On Saturday 2 October 1999, at 15 h 12,
Adam Di Carlo <adam@onshore.com> wrote:

>   I didn't read all the sections yet but I find it odd that you go
>   into how to install the SGML/XML environment prior to launching into
>   expositions on how to work with the various DTDs.

I don't understand: there are no real explanations about "how to install the
SGML/XML environment" since I just assume "apt-get install task-sgml".

>   should have a brief section, "Installation", which simply instructs
>   the user to install the task-sgml package (in potato, that is),
>   either via apt-get or dselect.

It exists, at the beginning of the Tools section. Apparently, it can be missed
:-) Note the HOWTO has two versions: the slink one just expand the task-sgml
package.

>   I also think you need to add a brief section talking about the
>   Debian SGML/XML infrastructure briefly, mentioning sgml-base and the
>   "SGML Sub-Policy" contained in that package.

I hesitate: the purpose of the HOWTO is to be practical, so that people can
start as soon as possible. It is intended for people who wish to write a Linux
HOWTO, or to patch a Debian documentation, or to print a DocBook file they
received, not for Debian SGML maintainers or students in markup languages.

Anyway, if someone writes a nice paragraph about the Debian SGML
infrastructure (for slink and for potato), I would be glad to include it.
Otherwise, I'll try to hack something.

>   We also need to talk
>   about (maybe in a different section?) how install-sgmlcatalog is
>   used, the default SGML search paths in Debian, and how the user can
>   use install-sgmlcatalog (or manual editing) to install their own
>   DTDs and entities under /usr/local.

It is not my top priority, expect may be for the installation of your "own"
DTD (which is a realistic case, while the search paths are invisible, thanks
to the Debian SGML infrastructure). Again, since it is not my priority, I
would be glad if someone else did it.

>   My brief perusal of the various DTD-related sections shows me that
>   you didn't have any pointers on where to go for more information.

Most are in the section References. But every section about a DTD has at least
a link "To learn more". For DebianDoc, it points toward "Debiandoc-SGML Markup
Manual", in the debiandoc-sgml package.

>   For example, regarding debiandoc-sgml, users should file a bug on a
>   package; general comments should go to debian-doc@lists.debian.org.

Right.

>   Likewise, you should talk about the DSSSL list,

Hmmm, may be a bit complicated?

> and the sgml-tools
>   list, and the DocBook mail list.

I point to their respective Web sites, where this info is. Beginners in a
hurry don't want to subscribe to a mailing list to start.

> Section "Why this HOWTO? What's in it?":
>
>   The introdocutory paragraph is confusing and hard to read.

That's the problem when you write a documentation in English and you don't
speak english :-)

>   section title should perhaps be changed to "Scope and Audience for
>   this HOWTO".  To the first para of the section, I would add a little
>   "Rationale", such as "Setting up an SGML environment is notoriously
>   difficult and time-consuming on most systems.  Debian, however, has
>   worked to solve this problem.

See next paragraph.

> Section "Why specific to Debian?"
>
>   Rather than out-and-out advocacy of Debian,

The previous paragraph was advocacy. I just said that Debian is the best Unix.

>   you should just point
>   out that Debian itself includes an integrated SGML environment, and
>   because of that, setting up the system is significantly different in
>   Debian than any other OS.

It is different for every system. Debian is no more different from Solaris
than from Windows-NT (I refer only to SGML environment). No, the reason why I
made the HOWTO Debian-specific is very clear, may be not in my words, but in
my head: experience on SGML mailing lists show that it is near to impossible
to provide <emphasis>practical</emphasis> information on SGML, in a
system-independant way ("Add the XML declaration, /usr/lib/sgml/declaration/xml
.decl, to the jade command line. But I don't have this file! Where can I find
it?").

> Section "What is structured documentation?"
>
>   Be careful -- SGML itself does not enforce structural markup as
>   opposed to presentational markup.

<bold boldness="high">Right</bold>. But I concentrate on one aspect of SGML,
writing structured documentation. I do not talk about the use of XML for data
interchange, for instance.

>   You say:
>            If it looks like HTML, it is because HTML is theoretically a DTD of SGML.
>
>   I would replace "theoretically" with "ostensibly".  It's not just
>   theoretic, since there *is* an HTML DTD (published by w3o no less).
>   The problem is that practically HTML is rarely valid SGML.

As you say. I used "HTML" to mean "The language in which almost all Web pages
are written", not to mean "The language standardized by the W3C".

> Section "References"
>   Under RedHat, Mark Galassi's "DocWare" stuff, at
>   http://sourceware.cygnus.com/docbook-tools/, offers a set of add-ons
>   and a guide for RedHat users, I believe.

Added.

> Section "Tools"
>
>   "nsgmls" is actually the SP suite.

Recently added.

> You might also add
>   cygnus-stylesheets, which is used in particular by the gnome folks.

I do not know them a lot. I will postpone their inclusion until I had time to
examine them.

> I'd be pleased to offer you CVS space in the
> cvs.debian.org:/cvs/debian-doc area if you want it.

I was planning to ask you for that, as soon as the HOWTO is sufficiently
debugged.

--
http://www.debian.org/~bortz/