Re: First beta version of the Debian SGML/XML HOWTO

Stephane Bortzmeyer <bortzmeyer@debian.org> writes:

> On Saturday 2 October 1999, at 15 h 12,
> Adam Di Carlo <adam@onshore.com> wrote:
>
> >   I didn't read all the sections yet but I find it odd that you go
> >   into how to install the SGML/XML environment prior to launching into
> >   expositions on how to work with the various DTDs.
>
> I don't understand: there are no real explanations about "how to install the
> SGML/XML environment" since I just assume "apt-get install task-sgml".

Still -- this instruction, simple as it is, should be *ahead* of the
discussion on the various DTDs, so the user can follow along with the
document.

> >   I also think you need to add a brief section talking about the
> >   Debian SGML/XML infrastructure briefly, mentioning sgml-base and the
> >   "SGML Sub-Policy" contained in that package.
>
> I hesitate: the purpose of the HOWTO is to be practical, so that people can
> start as soon as possible. It is intended for people who wish to write a Linux
> HOWTO, or to patch a Debian documentation, or to print a DocBook file they
> received, not for Debian SGML maintainers or students in markup languages.
>
> Anyway, if someone writes a nice paragraph about the Debian SGML
> infrastructure (for slink and for potato), I would be glad to include it.
> Otherwise, I'll try to hack something.

The reason I think it's good is that advanced editors need SGML/XML
entity mgmt capabilities (add/override entities).

> > and the sgml-tools
> >   list, and the DocBook mail list.
>
> I point to their respective Web sites, where this info is. Beginners in a
> hurry don't want to subscribe to a mailing list to start.

Oh, ok, I didn't notice that.  Its probably better to point to a
well-known web page rather than a mail list.

> > You might also add
> >   cygnus-stylesheets, which is used in particular by the gnome folks.
>
> I do not know them a lot. I will postpone their inclusion until I had time to
> examine them.

Sure... these are mostly useful as the db2x scripts.

> > I'd be pleased to offer you CVS space in the
> > cvs.debian.org:/cvs/debian-doc area if you want it.
>
> I was planning to ask you for that, as soon as the HOWTO is sufficiently
> debugged.

Well, let me know a good CVS modules name and I'll add it.

Nice work Stephane!  Maybe once it's in CVS you'll allow me to hack on
it a bit, smoothing over the rough spots.