Re: resurrecting sgml-base

Adam Di Carlo wrote:

> In message <[🔎] 379FA2D1.91FF31B4@lucent.com> you wrote:
> >Speaking about sgml-base and the sgml standard, I've the following
> >situation with debiandoc-sgml: Currently I copy the dtd and related
> >stuff in the 'general' directories under /usr/lib/sgml and then I
> >make symbolic links to corresponding directories under the package
> >specific directories under /usr/lib/sgml/DebianDoc.  I would like
> >to do the inverse.
>
> Why?

To ease packaging.  Now I have to do some 'uggly' make things to get all
the stuff in place and symlink it.  My idea is to write 'dh_installsgml'
which installs all the sgml stuff under /usr/lib/sgml/<package> and have
'install_sgml' handle the symlinks.  But that could of course also be
done the other way around.  As long as I can get rid of the hassle in the
Makefile.

> >Is there any reason not to do this?
>
> Yes, read the Debian SGML mini policy and read on.

Ok, no argument from me there. :-)

> >Further, it would even be cool if install-sgml would take care of the
> >symbolic linking.  That way packages would only have to take care of
> >getting their stuff under /usr/lib/sgml/<package> and install-sgml
> >would take over from there and 'implements' the standard.
>
> From what Manoj has told me in the past, in the next major sgml-base
> revision, at 'install-catalog' time the links will be made.

Ok, that works also for me as described above.  But, how do we handle
package-specific SGMLDECLs.  They won't be in the catalog, so how do
they get symlinked.

> Thus linking back into /usr/lib/sgml/dtd from /usr/lib/sgml/DebianDoc/...
> is going to make work for you and not be supported.

Already removed from the agenda.

Thanks,
Ardo