Re: How do you guys handle PNG/JPG binary files with potential payloads for all the image viewers?

(am I sending my emails right?? I selected "Reply All.")
>> how do you guys test all of the potential PNG/JPG potential malware payloads
>What's your use-case?

lol funny story.
I downloaded all of the github.com links ripped from the blackarch main page (~8GB worth of repositories)
ANYWAYS

I wanted to see the pictures...............start with the fun stuff first, right?

So I went: `find -type f -name '*.png' -o -name '*.jpg' -exec cp -f '{}' $SOME_DIR \;`

hehe then I was like OMG what am I doing when I saw a image name called:
Something like this:
Parser < 7.png
WHOA. my heart raced.
And I was like "I'm not ready for this."

So then I started imagining all of the stuff in those 1000+ PNG/JPG files that I want to view with ristretto image viewer.
.....and I was like: No way. No freakin' way.
I deleted all of the image files and then all of the cloned github.com repositories.
NOT worth viewing.
I don't care if `file myfile.png` says "PNG file"
lol

On Mon, Jun 20, 2022 at 4:11 PM Sebastian Rose <sebastian_rose@gmx.de> wrote:
Davide Prina <Davide.Prina@null.net> writes:
> Corey H wrote:
>
>> how do you guys test all of the potential PNG/JPG potential malware payloads

What's your use-case? As I'm not aware of an vector for GNU/Linux in
normal everyday use¹, I guess you host files for Windows clients?

Did anyone mention ClamAV already? If so, please ignore me (sorry for
not following closely...).

 - Sebastian

¹ One can execute every file on GNU/Linux. But the attack is that
execution of a file, not the file (otherwise we'd have to consider `rm',
`gpg', `scp', and many more malware, too).

--
As I was walking down Stanton Street early one Sunday morning, I saw a
chicken a few yards ahead of me.  I was walking faster than the chicken,

                      (Linda Elegant in "True Tales of American Life")