Re: Intel Microcode updates

On Mon, 10 Jun 2019, Russell Coker wrote:
> model name      : Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU    Q9505  @ 2.83GHz
>
> On a system with the above CPU running Debian/Testing I get the following
> results from the spectre-meltdown-checker script.  Is this a bug in the intel-
> microcode package that the latest version isn't packaged?  There is no newer
> version of intel-microcode in Unstable.

Intel upstream decided to not distribute it, for whatever reason.  The
Core2 will not get any fixes for MDS either (nor will Nehalem and
Westmere).

It is easy enough to source that microcode update if you look for it,
and you can just drop it on /usr/share/misc/intel-microcode.bin with
intel-microcode installed, and update the initramfs.  It will pick the
extra microcode up.

--
  Henrique Holschuh