Re: Intel Microcode updates

On Mon, Jun 10, 2019 at 07:46:47PM +0200, Davide Prina wrote:
On 10/06/19 13:16, Michael Stone wrote:
Your CPU is not supported my Intel, so you either accept the risk or buy a new one.

you have another choice: disable the SMP & C. and all mitigation form Linux

That's not correct, but will set your performance back 20 years.

* you will get only mitigation and not bug correction. Mitigation == the attack is more hard, but it can be done successfully. I don't have

That is also not correct.

* your CPU run slower because of these mitigation (I have rad that for some task you can have 50% or less performance),

That depends on the CPU, some see significant impacts, others see none or were never vulnerable to some of these issues.

There's enough misinformation about this class of attacks without spreading more...

* new hardware bugs and variant of previous bugs are found constantly, so we need a new CPU class designed for security. I have read that some people want to create a new CPU under free license, I think that is the only solution that we can trust

For those who want to use a computer now, that's not particularly helpful.