Re: [SECURITY] [DSA 3438-1] xscreensaver security update

On 1/11/16, Noah Meyerhans <noahm@debian.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 11, 2016 at 11:14:52AM -0500, Cindy-Sue Causey wrote:
>>
>> ** Not sure proper protocol but reinserted my original thought process
>> And now me.. I didn't notice that (about the Announce list)
>> originally. I've seen it happen a few times across the Net. It doesn't
>> seem like that should be able to occur. It seems like Announce lists
>> are regularly intended as a one-way admin only message source..
>>
>> Just thinking out loud... that maybe the Announce list settings might
>> need a quick once-over review depending on admin's intentions for it.
>
> The ability to send mail to the debian-security-announce list is
> restricted, and the settings work as intended. Note that Debian security
> announcements include a Reply-To header redirecting replies to the
> debian-security@lists.debian.org discussion list, so it's possible to
> send a reply and think that it did go through, when in fact it went to a
> different mailing list. In fact, that's exactly what's happening here.
> This thread is taking place on debian-security@lists.debian.org, even
> though it was triggered by a reply to a security announcement on
> debian-security-announce.

Good deal. Crossed my mind that I didn't receive 2 copies but didn't
think about checking online archives before posting my response. It's
a great tip suggestion to now have in mind for those other unrelated
listservs where it *does* happen, most often on federal dotGov
government listservs of all things. *grin*

Cindy :)

--
Cindy-Sue Causey

* #RIP, Ian. Thank you and to all who contribute to Debian. It's a
Life-affecting, Life-enhancing resource and tool in my usage case. *