Re: [SECURITY] [DSA 3148-1] chromium-browser end of life

* Russell Coker:

> On Sun, 1 Feb 2015 11:18:43 PM Paul Wise wrote:
>> chromium was already being backported to wheezy for security updates,
>> the latest versions need newer compilers so we can't backport any
>> more.
>
> Why can't we backport the compilers too?

You'd have to replace the system libstdc++ library or do RPATH hacks.
softwarecollections.org is a relatively clean way to achieve that.
Toolchain backports have infinitely greater risk.

It's probably easier to bundle GCC 4.8 or 4.9 with Chromium, build
that first (without bootstrapping), and use this compiler to build
Chromium.  This was discussed prior to the EOL notice, but it's still
a significant amount of work.