Re: [SECURITY] [DSA 3148-1] chromium-browser end of life

On Mon, Feb 2, 2015 at 3:14 AM, Pavlos K. Ponos wrote:

> Since the latest gcc version for Wheezy is the 4.7 and Chromium "moves" to 4.8, what shall we do?

Follow the advice in DSA-3148-1: upgrade to jessie or switch to the
iceweasel web browser.

> Till the next stable release (Jessie), are we vulnerable to security issues?

If you continue to use chromium from Debian wheezy yes.

> this goes against the "stable philosophy" of Debian, at least in its stable version.

The policy for Debian stable has limits based in the reality of
software development.

> So, what are the alternatives in our case?

Upgrade to jessie or switch to another web browser.

> Maybe it sound a "stupid" question but what about if we keep track of backports and proposed updates in Wheezy?

chromium was already being backported to wheezy for security updates,
the latest versions need newer compilers so we can't backport any
more.

--
bye,
pabs