are unattended updates a good idea?

Hello List,

i have got about 50 Debian 6+7 Servers. They are doing all kind of
things like Webserver, Mailserver, DNS, etc…

I am using apticron to keep track of the updates, but i seem to use
more and more time updating the hosts.

Recently i came across the unattended-upgrade project
https://wiki.debian.org/UnattendedUpgrades.

Do you think it is a good idea to do security updates automatically? I
just don’t want to wake up one morning not having ssh access to my
Servers because an update broke everything. The servers are still very
important. I should not crash them at any time. On the other hand i
would like to be up2date with my security patches.

Is anyone else facing the same problem? What are your experiences
doing (blind) automatic security updates.

Or are you maybe using something completly diffrent like puppet?

Whats your practical experience with lots of servers?  (i am not
interested in theoretical advises :-P )

Thanks a lot,
Mario