Re: Four people decided the fate of debian with systemd. Bad faith likely

On Sunday, March 02, 2014 10:53:51 AM Jack wrote:
> On 02/03/2014 05:11, Eric Newcomb wrote:
> > Technical issues aside, I went through the list of members of the
> > tech-ctte, found here: https://www.debian.org/intro/organization. I
> > searched each name on the list on Google, and I can't honestly find
> > any evidence that the committee is "stacked" with Redhat and/or
> > Canonical employees. I'd like to see some proof of these assertions
> > before I'd give any credence to claims of conspiracy.
>
> I also disapprove of such claims. It's unfortunate that the CTTE split
> in the way that it did. But I followed the discussion on bug 727708 with
> considerable interest; it was a serious, open technical discussion. You
> need proper evidence, not just suspicions, to start chucking around such
> claims.
>
> > I am not even close to advanced enough to have much of an opinion on
> > the matter, but if anyone would like to explain to me why they feel
> > that System V is superior, I'd be interested to hear your arguments,
> > provided they're based in fact, technical information and practical
> > knowledge, and not in nostalgia, emotion or resistance to change.
>
> First off, I'm not a Debian Developer. The way Debian is constituted,
> it's ultimately up to DDs to decide what direction Debian takes (so I
> understand). So my remarks below should be read in the light of the fact
> I'm not a DD, just a user - I don't speak ith any authority.
>
> I don't believe that SysV is superior to *any* other init system. I
> think very few people are arguing that it's really superior to systemd.
>
> I think it's unfortunate that the CTTE didn't consider OpenRC at all.
>
> Systemd scares me. As far as I can see it does a lot of things right (in
> some cases these are things that no other contender does right); I'm not
> going to try to enumerate those things, that's been one elsewhere. But
> the way systemd has been designed, in particular the way it has borged
> dbus and syslog, is a real problem for me.
>
> I try to build systems that only run those daemons the system really
> needs. This is partly for security, and partly because I have several
> systems that are resource-challenged. Many of those systems have no GUI,
> and until now needed no dbus. I try to run nothing that depends on
> polkit or consolekit (it's a coincidence that those components are also
> Lennart's work).
>
> But the systemd approach is to use dbus for all IPC; and dbus is now
> part of systemd. Dbus is complicated; I don't begin to understand it.
> SystemD places dbus at the heart of PID1, and that IMO was a
> questionable technical decision.
>
> SystemD isn't just an init system; it also uses the CGROUPs kernel
> feature to manage user sessions. I don't understand why that
> functionality was incorporated into the init program. An init system,
> IMO, should restrict itself to bringing up services.
>
> I *really* don't want binary logs. I realise that I can make the new
> [...]

While I could go over why I think systemd is the best option, I've already
gone over that.

My only dispute here is that OpenRC shouldn't even be considered. OpenRC is
really just a big initscript wrapper around SysV and doesn't really address
any of the problems for which SysV is being deprecated in Debian and other
Linux distributions. Even OpenRC's champion Gentoo looks like it may be going
systemd.

I don't think we need more and more wrappers around SysV init to cover what a
turd it is, because a wrapped turd is still a turd. Linux needs an actual
system manager, not scripts that are barely up to the task of startup.

Even if we weren't to go systemd, it's still pretty necessary SysV Init is
dropped altogether since it isn't really serving any Linux distribution's
needs adequately anymore, and it's been almost entirely dropped in the real
UNIX ecosphere.

Just my two cents.

Conrad