Re: Four people decided the fate of debian with systemd. Bad faith likely

On 02/03/2014 14:16, Daniel Sousa wrote:
> I am also only a Debian user and I don't know much about the matter,
>  but if I understand correctly systemd is a drop in replacement for
> sysV, which has a lot more functionalities but works fine with sysV
> initscrits.

It apparently doesn't work with *all* sysv initscripts; but yes, I
believe it's a drop-in replacement for sysvinit, in the sense that it
will use sysv init scripts if systemd units are unavailable.

> Wouldn't it be possible, in the future, to write a replacement to
> systemd which works fine with the systemd configuration, but that
> doesn't have most of those problems that systemd has?

I suppose it would; but I don't believe anyone is working on that. Also,
I don't know whether it would be possible to write a systemd replacement
that didn't depend on (or incorporate) dbus. I don't know enough about
how it works. Note that this replacement needs to be ready for the
Jessie release! There's not much time.

But here's the thing: systemd is being developed (and pushed) by a
distro that can afford to pay lots of developers. Plenty of work is
still being done on it. The interfaces have changed several times
already, so this replacement would probably be chasing a moving target.
If the replacement were a volunteer effort, then they may struggle to
keep up.

Ummm - I believe this discussion is largely off-topic on
debian-security. This is a list that a lot of users need to follow to
keep up with vulnerabilities and security fixes, and there must be a
more appropriate venue for discussions of this kind - so I'm going to
drop out.

--
Jack.