Re: MIT discovered issue with gcc

One of the links Mark posted earlier addresses the "The compiler should issue warnings" issue.  The short answer is because of macro expansion and other code-rearranging optimizations (inlining functions, loop unrolling, pulling expressions out of a loop, etc.), undefined code appears and is removed more often than you'd expect.  Issuing a warning *every time* this happens would generate many confusing warnings that users wouldn't like.

Also, the deeper you get into the optimized code, the harder it is to issue meaningful source-level warnings.  E.g. when the compiler optimizes:
static int decimate(x) { return x/10; }
int foo() {
   int a=INT_MAX;
   int b;
   for(i=0; i<100; ++i) { b=max(i, decimate(a*10));}
   return b;
}

into

int foo() { return INT_MAX; }

What warnings should appear for which lines?

     --- Wade