RE: security updates using ftp

On Tue, 2011-08-30 at 15:06 -0500, Nelson Last wrote:
> Thanks for the replies. I changed the source to
> deb ftp://security.debian.org/debian-security/ squeeze/updates main
> with no difference, other than the error message now says:
> Failed to fetch
> ftp://security.debian.org/debian-security/dists/squeeze/updates/main/binary-i386/Packages.gz  Unable to fetch file, server said 'Failed to open file.  ' [IP: 130.89.149.226 21]

That IP is for a machine which hosts ftp.debian.org, fwiw, which would
explain why it's failing to retrieve any files from security.d.o paths.

> I'm not sure what you mean by the forced proxy. It was my
> understanding that the file I've named proxy provides the username and
> password supplied to ftp sites, and can have any name.

No, it supplies the details of a proxy server to use as part of the
connection, hence Acquire::ftp::Proxy.  The username and password are
passed to the proxy server, not the destination server.

As to why removing the file entirely would break your access to ftp.d.o,
I can only assume that there's something else in your environment or
network acting as a proxy, which is being bypassed by your explicit
configuration.

Regards,

Adam