RE: security updates using ftp

Hi Adam,

Thanks for the replies. I changed the source to
deb ftp://security.debian.org/debian-security/ squeeze/updates main
with no difference, other than the error message now says:
Failed to fetch ftp://security.debian.org/debian-security/dists/squeeze/updates/main/binary-i386/Packages.gz  Unable to fetch file, server said 'Failed to open file.  ' [IP: 130.89.149.226 21]

I'm not sure what you mean by the forced proxy. It was my understanding that the file I've named proxy provides the username and password supplied to ftp sites, and can have any name. I'm not even sure where I got that information because it's been like this for several months. If I remove the file then I can not log into either site. With it I appear to be logging into both, but only reading one repository. From the error message I'm seeing I would say a path is misconfigured, but it sure looks OK to me now, after implementing your suggestion.

Thanks,
Nelson