Re: non-executable stack (via PT_GNU_STACK) not being enforced

On Thu, 2010-10-14 at 20:21 +0200, Yves-Alexis Perez wrote:
> I'm not sure it's a solution Debian can advertise.

I know it's not, that is why later down the discussion we brought up the
installer giving people the option to either choose the kernel or
building a script that will check for PAE and go from there.

> That's not the point (and tbh, I don't run any i386 kernel anyway). But
> we do have users which will have issues, and we do have a -bigmem kernel
> which can be used for needing users. So yes I agree a way to propose the
> -bigmem to users needing it would be nice, but I don't think setting it
> the default kernel would work. But I basically see i386 as “the kernel
> of the last chance”.

Read above.  It was not meant to be a point, but a mere example.  You
can't stay legacy forever (well you /can/ but why would you want to?)
and I think giving users the choice is the best step with a pro being NX
that PAE can bring if the CPU supports it.

> Was that really necessary?

Yes, because out of context replies are out of context.  While it should
have not so blunt (which I am really working on ~ you should have seen
the way I would have replied a year ago) it had to be brought up :P