Re: non-executable stack (via PT_GNU_STACK) not being enforced

On jeu., 2010-10-14 at 13:15 -0500, Jordon Bedwell wrote:
> > Like, not booting at all?
>
> Like, going and buying a better computer?

I'm not sure it's a solution Debian can advertise.

>  I have no problem booting my
> mums computer with PAE and NX (and it's almost 5 years old now ~ built
> with heavily proprietary hardware from Dell)  Don't blame the kernel for
> your hardware.

That's not the point (and tbh, I don't run any i386 kernel anyway). But
we do have users which will have issues, and we do have a -bigmem kernel
which can be used for needing users. So yes I agree a way to propose the
-bigmem to users needing it would be nice, but I don't think setting it
the default kernel would work. But I basically see i386 as “the kernel
of the last chance”.

> You must also be a politician or news anchor on the side too.  Taking
> things out of context and replying out of context.  Always pro to do so,
> that way you can subjectively reply.

Was that really necessary?

Cheers,
--