Re: openssl-blacklist & two keys per one pid

On Wed, 21 May 2008, Jan Tomasek wrote:

> Jamie Strandboge wrote:
>>> I discovered that there is also 3rd key which you get if you pass
>>> empty  file by -rand. Keys created in this way are still the same so
>>> it's  another possible compromised key. I'm not sure if it worth
>>> spend time on  counting this keys...
>>>
>> Empty files vs non-existent result in the same key here.
>

> http://pocitace.tomasek.cz/debian-randomness/
>
> Checkout section Demonstration. I do not speak about non existent .rnd
> which is created after the first call. I speak about any other non
> existent file specified by -rand option. That produces third key. But as
> I said before, I do not expect users use it this very stupid way.

Interesting. I agree that this is definitely a non-default case, and while
Ubuntu is not going to actively pursue generating these keys (unless it can
be shown that there are a lot of them out there), we would be willing to
package up a separate blacklist package for it.

Jamie

--
Ubuntu Security Engineer     | http://www.ubuntu.com/
Canonical Ltd.               | http://www.canonical.com/