Re: openssl-blacklist & two keys per one pid

On Wed, 21 May 2008, Jamie Strandboge wrote:

> > I discovered that there is also 3rd key which you get if you pass empty
> > file by -rand. Keys created in this way are still the same so it's
> > another possible compromised key. I'm not sure if it worth spend time on
> > counting this keys...
> >
> Empty files vs non-existent result in the same key here.

Dirk-Willem van Gulik found that this is not always true in his tests. I
discovered that 0.9.8g (and possibly 0.9.8f-- didn't check) creates
different moduli depending on if .rnd is empty or non-existent. Earlier
versions as included in Etch, Ubuntu Feisty and Ubuntu Gutsy do create the
same moduli in these cases, but unstable and Ubuntu Hardy did do not.

As such, I am generating blacklists for this situation also.

Jamie

--
Ubuntu Security Engineer     | http://www.ubuntu.com/
Canonical Ltd.               | http://www.canonical.com/