Re: openssh remote upgrade procedure?

Hi all, thanks for the suggestions so far.

I talked local staff through backing up the sshd configuration file,
purging the openssh-server package and then reinstalling openssh.

I'm quite frustrated to say this didn't fix anything. Had exactly the
same behaviour:

<snip>
debug1: Next authentication method: keyboard-interactive
debug2: userauth_kbdint
debug2: we sent a keyboard-interactive packet, wait for reply
debug1: Authentications that can continue: publickey,keyboard-interactive
debug3: userauth_kbdint: disable: no info_req_seen
debug2: we did not send a packet, disable method
debug1: No more authentication methods to try.
Permission denied (publickey,keyboard-interactive).

I did two further tests:

1. ssh from the box itself to localhost: Same result, permission was
denied, no info_req_seen
2. tail -f /var/log/auth.log on the server - staff reported no new
entries while I was attempting to login

Does this mean that we never get to the authentication mechanism?

I'm quite clueless now, I too was expecting that a purge and reinstall
would fix it.

-A