Re: secure installation

On Tue, Aug 21, 2007 at 05:13:43PM +0200, Johannes Wiedersich wrote:

> > Educating users also involves raising awareness that they *have* to keep
> > their system up-to-date with security patches both to prevent local and
> > remote exploits. The fact that KDE (or Xfce) does not have an equivalent to
> > the update-manager is IMHO, worrisome, as users of that Desktop environment
> > might not be as aware of this need as users of GNOME.
>
> I agree with the first half of that statement, but I fail to grasp why
> kde users (including, say Linus T.) should be less aware of security
> than gnome users. Are you just trying to start a flame?

I didn't say what you put here and do not have any intention to start a
flamware. I'm just saying that Debian KDE users with no update-notifier *might*
not be *as* aware of available security updates as users of GNOME with it.
That's it.

(Notice the use of 'might' in both of my statements)

> Maybe the lack of an update-manager for kde just reflects the fact that
> kde users are more security aware and don't need as much automatic
> nagging. (I am not claiming that this is the case, I am just claiming
> that it is just as legitimate to claim the opposite of what you have
> been claiming. )

Actually, I've just found that there is actually an update-notifier for KDE,
it's provided by adept (a package management interface similar to synaptic).
Try installing adept-notifier.

Regards

Javier