Re: secure installation

On Fri, Aug 17, 2007 at 10:01:54AM +0200, Johannes Wiedersich wrote:
> PS 2: While we are at it: debian by default also does not install or
> enable an automated system to install security updates. It is the
> responsibility of the user to decide whether and when security updates
> are installed.

Not exactly true. If you are installing a Debian system with a network
connection the installation system will add security.debian.org automatically
to your sources lists and update the packages you were going to install from
CD/DVD from that source. Automatically, unless the user goes into a
'power-user' configuration or the system is not connected to the network.

Also, a Debian etch install of the Desktop environment (or just the GNOME
environment) brings you 'update-manager' which *is* a system to install
security updates if the box has been configured with a proper security source
(which happens out of the box for most network-connected installations).
In this case security updates are not, however, forced on you. You just get a
gently reminder that they are available.

Regards

Javier