Re: [DSA 1356-1] New Linux 2.6.18 packages fix several vulnerabilities

On Thu, Aug 16, 2007 at 10:08:18AM +0100, Dominic Hargreaves wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 16, 2007 at 09:34:58AM +0100, Dominic Hargreaves wrote:
>
> > And even then, a dist-upgrade would be needed.
>
> Sorry to be replying to myself.
>
> Of course, this will also need module-assistant style (and any other)
> out-of-tree modules to be rebuilt; I can't remember whether there's ever
> been a kernel ABI bump in a stable release before,

sarge has had 3 ABI bumps - one for 2.4, two for 2.6

> but IMO this update
> certainly warrants something other than the standard boilerplate in the
> advisory.

If the ABI change was introduced by the security update I'd agree -
but technically it was introduced by 4.0r1 (which includes rebuilds of
the various linux-modules- packages). The ABI change is noted in the
4.0r1 announcement.

--
dann frazier